Sunday, August 8, 2010

Anniversary Weekend

I know that our anniversary isn't necessarily about baby, but I guess it is kind of indirectly, so I am going to share anyway. After posing the two ideas of the Santa Barbara Zoo and the Long Beach Aquarium for our anniversary to Pete, he responded saying, "Animals are cool, fish suck." So the Santa Barbara Zoo it is! We has such a good time there. Pretty much every animal they had was out and we seemed to hit them all when they were somewhat active. Well except the lions, they are sure sleepy. We went by them twice about two hours apart and they hadn't even moved, well the female had closed her legs from the spread eagle position, but other than that, still sleeping.


I was worried going out there cause my new thing is getting this weird echo in my ears then getting really light headed and blacking out if I stand too long. It is lovely, and I am sure it is from my lack of proper nutrition. So on the drive out there I ate and drank everything and anything that I could manage. Starbucks breakfast sandwich, a bunch of dried apricots, a strawberry lemonade, and some water. This helped a ton. Had no problems until my ears started echoing again, then I knew it was time for lunch.

I took over 300 pictures while we were there, so going threw them and narrowing them down was somewhat difficult, but I wanted to include some of our favorite animals from the visit. One of my most favorites, and the inspiration for the baby's nursery is, of course, the giraffe. I just love them. They are so beautiful and graceful, and all the giraffe baby stuff they have out right now is so freakin' adorable.


Right next to the giraffes are the meerkats. They are just about the cutest thing ever. They have so much personality. I told Pete I want one. Then again I told Pete that I wanted a giraffe, an elephant, a snow leopard, and a sea otter too. I have a feeling Audrey and Jack will have to suffice though.


After that was Pete's favorite, the gorillas. There were two beautiful silver backed gorillas and the zoo staff was there giving them food so they were a bit more active. I can't believe how much personality they have. And for such huge animals they are really quite dainty with how they eat. This guy was waiting for his banana leaf to be thrown to him.


The elephants are another animal that is going to be part of the baby's room motif. They had two of them there, and even though they are such huge animals there is something so sweet and gentle about them. They were having a good time giving themselves dirt baths while we were there, which was hilarious to watch.


I have to say that the most gorgeous animal they have there is definitely the snow leopard. It was just breath-taking. I have always been a cat lover, and the snow leopard is one of my favorites. I so just wanted to go in and pet him or her.


The sea otters were awesome. The first time we walked by them they were sleeping, and are they ever adorable. Then when we went back by after lunch they were all kinds of active. The little guy was playing with his food and I loved this shot because in his flailing about he looks like he is praying.


So those were some of my favorite animals from the Santa Barbara Zoo visit. Though it is a small zoo it has a lot of cool animals and it is in such a beautiful area. I can't wait to go there with the little bean once it is old enough.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute blog! Thanks for coming to the Santa Barbara Zoo and sharing your fun photos. Glad to see you had a nice visit with all the animals.

    ReplyDelete