Friday, January 28, 2011

She's Finally Arrived!!!!

My beautiful Layla Renay Heikes arrived at 7:13 in the morning on Tuesday, January 25th. She weighed 6 pounds, 8 ounces and was 20 inches long.

I was in labor for about 30 hours, seven of which kicked my butt. Everything went really well. I was able to make it through without any pain medication, which is what I was hoping for. And though there was a period there where I thought I was going to die, I am really glad that I was able to make it through. I was so happy because my favorite doctor, Dr. Murphy, was on call that day until 7:00 am so I was really lucky to have him deliver me just as his shift was ending. He is so great, and my nurse Miriem was amazing too, so sweet, helpful and encouraging!

It took me 24 hours to get to two centimeters and six hours to get from two to ten. What an experience. It is amazing the feeling of release once she is all the way out. It is quite the euphoric moment. She was completely healthy, although her cord was wrapped around her neck twice, but Dr. Murphy told me not to push no matter what for a moment then seconds later she was out and the little cries came. The best sound in the world! This little bundle of joy was so good to me throughout my pregnancy that I didn't think I would be lucky enough to also get the most beautiful little girl I have ever seen. And to top it all off, she got her mommy's red hair!!!!

I was in the hospital for just over 48 hours, which was nice. Simi Hospital is so great, you get your own private rooms and the nurses there are so awesome. I loved every one of them. Baby Layla is home now and we are just loving every second. Both of the animals are adjusting quite well to this new foreign thing that makes so much noise every now and then. Audrey is very protective of her, which is good. She gets really worried when she is crying. Jack just sniffs her and then gets pissed that we keep throwing him out of her swing, or crib, or bouncy seat, or bassinet, or boppy pillow or bathtub. He loves sleeping where he isn't supposed to the little Jackass. It is crazy, but my cat weighs over twice what Layla weighs so carrying her around is like nothing.

Layla loves her Daddy so much, and he has been just amazing with her. He is a swaddling master and he isn't afraid to change her diapers. I love that he is jumping into this daddy thing and enjoying every minute. He is so calm and sweet with her, and he doesn't freak out when she cries. It is so cute to watch them together. She loves to stare at him.


Grandma has been here to help out with everything and she has been SO great to have around. Her and Pete were awesome through my labor helping coach me, especially in the end when it got really rough. It must be really hard watching someone go through that and knowing there is nothing that you can do to help. Having them there was a huge help though. I couldn't have done it without them. Mom will be here until Friday and I love that Layla Bug gets to spend some time with her grandma. It is going to be really hard not having family around all the time.

I will keep you all updated on our precious little Layla as much as possible. More pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment