Monday, March 21, 2011

Some Days Are Harder Than Others

The term "Don't cry over spilled milk" definitely doesn't apply to breast milk. I am working really hard to get my milk supply up so that I won't have to supplement my little monkey with formula anymore. We are going on day six of supplementing, and it is going pretty well for the most part. I pump at least once a day and then I give her a bottle once, sometimes twice a day with breast milk mixed with formula. Now that she has gotten the hang of drinking from a bottle she usually inhales it, so I am really hopeful that her next doctors visit will result in a heavier baby girl.

We had our roughest day ever yesterday. I still don't know what was wrong, but nothing seemed to work. Between my mom and I, we would bounce her and rock her until she fell asleep, and that would last anywhere from ten minutes to thirty minutes then she would start screaming again. It was so brutal. She would scream, stiffen her body up, and she seemed inconsolable. It would just break my heart. By the evening she was much better and she slept like a champ last night, and so far today she is just a little angel.



I know that babies have good days and rough days, and yesterday was SO rough. Hopefully those will be few and far between.

So it would seem that I have developed something called de Quervain tendinitis. It is a type of tendinitis that is right at the base of the thumb and is somewhat common for new moms apparently. I think it has to do with how I hold and pick her up. It doesn't hurt all the time, but if I move my wrist in certain positions it is quite painful. Unfortunately I don't think there is much that I can do for it. When I try to take pressure off of it, it will just make the other wrist worse. I've started wearing a wrist brace on my right wrist (which is the worse of the two) so that may help. I am hoping it will eventually go away on its own, but then again, Layla is only going to get heavier, so it may just get worse. Here is hoping for the former.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Layla had gas? H arches his back when he gets gas. Mylicon can be a mamas best friend.

    On another note, totally in love w/ Layla's eyebrows, so light w/ a tint of red. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete